Thursday, January 3, 2013

Elective 1 [First Aid]

Bet you thought I'd given up.

I thought I did for a while. But after some heavy thinking and helping with one of my friend's projects - I realized I had not given up. There's still much to do. I can still become a Ranger.

This elective was a cakewalk for me. I'm unreasonably obsessed with anything that has to do with medicine, so of course I'd jump at this elective. The only hold up was the 25-hour course. Woah.

That's a tough one to do, mostly because I couldn't find a 25-hour course. The best I could do was a 17-hour Wilderness First Aid course offered through the fantastic NOLS. And it really was fantastic. I don't think I had ever taken a better first aid course (And I had taken quite a few in my time). Unfortunately, it was of course only 17 hours.

After a chat with my advisor on how this was an impossibility, I came up with an alternative: what if I took a 6-hour CPR/AED for the professional rescuer as well? She agreed, saying it was a good idea, and off I went. However, when school started shortly after finishing the Wilderness First Aid course I sort of got distracted. Luckily, I had to take the aforementioned course as part of a requirement for my job at my university - so I unwittingly managed to complete my task. Huzzah.

So looking back at the dwindling list of requirements just now I was reinvigorated. I can do this. Nothing will stop me. Except for maybe the Wilderness Survival for a bit... but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment